Monday 14 November 2011

Soup for a rainy day

I was a bit under the weather today, both literally and figuratively. Solid food was my enemy this weekend. So to soothe my appetite and aching stomach, I made myself some soup. However, currently being on a vegetarian diet, I decided some cabbage soup would hit the spot.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large onions
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 a large green pepper
  • tomatoes
  • carrot
  • 1 container (10 oz. or so) mushrooms
  • 1 bunch of celery
  • half a head of cabbage
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 packet Maggi all purpose seasoning
  • 1 tbsp Olive oil
  • 4 cups water
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper
I didn't have fresh mushrooms so I opted for canned.
I cut all my veggies into bite sized pieces. I eventually did not use the whole tomato (I wasn't in the mood for pieces of tomato), but added 1 tablespoon of tomato paste instead.
I finely chopped the garlic and sautéed it in the olive oil. I then added all the veggies, the tomato paste, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and the maggi seasoning.

I sautéed the veggies for about 5 mins, then added 4 cups of water to the pot.
I then covered the pot and let simmer for an hour.

This meal took a while to make, but I loved the simple flavour, and the cayenne added the right amount of heat for this cold, rainy day.

Please try this recipe, feel free to add and omit as you like. Experiment with different spices to make this your own.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment